Sunday, November 15, 2009

Pizza

Friday night in the Accidental Household is Pizza Night. This usually goes hand in hand with Beer Night!

I have been keeping up the tradition about once a month while Mr Accident has been away, but not necessarily on a friday - I'm lucky if I know exactly what day of the week it is, most of my days seem to run happily together.

I bought a pizza today, one of the frozen, boxed types. It was "Double Beef 'n' Bacon" apparently. But when I read the ingredient list it was a nasty surprise. It started out with flour, water and cheese. Fair enough. But then... what's this? "Manufactured Bacon"? At least it actually contained pork as the main ingredient. As I read further, I passed tomato paste and onions to reach "Manufactured Beef". Oh dear. This contained no beef at all. None. Just thickener, flavour and salt. Yuck! I was rapidly losing my appetite.

Since I am loathe to skip pizza night all together, it looks like I will have to make my own from now on. Any tips are greatly appreciated!

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, exciting! Well then, our favourite is pizza sauce with roasted pumpkin, red onion, dollops of ricotta, and blanched spinach.

    But now that I've typed that out, it sounds like a lot of work if pizza night is an easy dinner night.

    Our second favourite is basil pesto instead of pizza sauce, with bacon, roast chicken (bought - I don't roast that myself!) sun-dried tomatoes, blanched spinach again and capsicum.

    But really, when there's a small person involved, you can't go past ham and pineapple.

    Actually no, scratch all that - if you were looking forward to your double beef 'n bacon, then making a pizza with REAL beef 'n bacon would satisfy, hey?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fave pizza is:

    Cook up slized chicken breast in tandoori sauce.
    Then cook pizza topped with the chicken and some mozzarella cheese.

    After Pizza is cooked top it with a salsa of mango, avocado, red onion and lime juice.... hmm, my FAVE pizza! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have had great success with the pizza recipes from the Best Recipe cookbook. You can even make the dough and freeze it!

    ReplyDelete