Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Animal crackers

We've been hibernating here. And I'm going slowly mad.

Bug's temperature has come and gone, but her loss was unfortunately Peanut's gain. I've gone from being trapped on the couch under one child, to being trapped on the couch under the other. And we're still watching hours of Playschool a day. I can actually feel my mind, and legs, atrophying.

Poor Peanut asks to do every craft or activity we watch. I agree, but then watch as she valiantly stumbles up from beneath her blanky, trying to make it to the playroom, before getting the shakes and retiring in defeated confusion to the couch. It breaks my heart. But, if Bug's passage through the illness is anything to go by, she will regain her spark by Friday.

So, with limited blog fodder, let's have an update on the Accidental animals!

Panzer's growing like a weed. In fact, she's growing so quickly she's almost onto her third collar, and her cute wrinkly butt pokes out the bottom of her second warm dog coat. If I'm late feeding her breakfast, ribs appear down her side like a minuscule doggy xylophone. Thankfully, her intelligence is growing along with her muscle, and we've finally reached the point where I can tell her off with a stern look and a quiet word, instead acting like an arm flailing, water spraying, growling idiot. Of course, this means I'm burning about 30 000 fewer calories a day.

Pan is also becoming accustomed to her role as a family guardian. She raced to the door barking when the dodgy looking parcel delivery man called, 
and tried valiantly to protect me from the local groundskeeper. Well, until the leaf blower started... then she was very pleased to have my leg to hide behind. Oh Pan, you big, brave, sooky puppy, you!  

Milly and Tilly have redecorated their chicken apartment. It was a knee-jerk reaction to waking up to frozen water in their feeder. Lucky, they hired in help - me. Frankly, I wouldn't recommend my skills as an insulation contractor. I did an extremely technical and long lasting job, sticking all its shiny, reflective, golden glory up with regulation thumbtacks. It's like a 1970's party in their little house now, I'm amazed that they can get any sleep in there at all! But, while it's a wee bit bright, it's also very snug. I have two very happy chickens.

Speaking of happy, my depressed fish is on the mend! We bought her another little friend (her previous  one only lasted a day) and her mood is very much improved. No longer does she hide her fishy head behind the filter! No longer do her googly eyes swim with sadness! All she needed was some decent company. And really, isn't that true of us all?

And now, ladies and gentlemen, it's (belatedly) time for comment of the week. You'll have to excuse my nepotism, but I'm awarding it to "Anonymous" for their comment on Brave. Oh, wait, did I say Anonymous? I meant "Mr Accident." He snuck on here and left a message, trying to blend in with our commenting style:
Have you heard of the movie Topgun? A delightful tale of adventure, love and it also dabbles in a bit of Military Aviation? Kids should love it! There are even one or two musical numbers throughout the piece!"
Which sounds like nonsense, until you learn that Topgun was the movie we were watching when we first kissed. Oh, Mr A! Such a romantic!

Now, speaking of romance, I'm off to share a bed with a hot toddler, quite possibly a fidgety baby, and hopefully my delightful husband. He'll be the one clinging to the other side of the mattress. Now that's love.
Night all!

13 comments:

  1. Ha haa! Maybe my Little Man is old enough for Top Gun now.
    Mmm, I'll forward a scene or two...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Top Gun was a staple of my childhood.

    I hope the hibernation ends soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you an illness free zone soon. Yay for the depressed goldfish cheering up. Just as well as it's quite hard to give a goldfish ECT I understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Apparently the water is quite a hazard to the delivering physician. Also, hard to get the patient to keep still. "slippery as a fish" and all that...

      Delete
  4. Ahhh Topgun...the memories! Hope your household is feeling better soon and you get to do something other than watch playschool...although goodness i admire their energy hehe! Bugger when kids get sick one after the other...lucky Mum's aren't allowed to get sick isn't it!!
    Hang in there xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I laughed out loud when I read that Topgun comment, I was sure it was a friend having a laugh with you........Topgun for children...bbaaahhhahaa

    I had an 'on fire' pyjama clad munchkin on top of me all night...freaking me out at the rate she was turning into an inferno...I have one very sick little girl here today.....with no chance of a doctors visit or medicine being administered..(born with inate fear of doctors and medicine..?? previous life?) so I am in for a few days of trouble....hope your little one is on the mend, it really is awful when they are so sick....oh, look, time for another panadol suppository...fun...not...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the burning must be going around. It seems to last a long time, this one! Bug was hot for about four days, and panadol was only mildly effective. It's a bastard of a flu. I hope M pulls through quickly for you, especially with her doctor fear :( panadol suppository... There's a thing I didn't know existed!

      Delete
    2. Sorry for intruding on the conversation, but it's interesting this it has trundled down the topical path of panadol suppositories. I didn't know they existed either until just last week: Whilst in conversation with my doctor he told me you can get most over-the-counter pain killers in suppository form, because not everyone can take them orally. You just ask for the suppository variety at your local chemist. Whilst I find all of this absolutely fascinating, I think I'll continue to use the regular kind, upset stomach or no!
      ~S.

      Delete
    3. Not an intrusion at all, I love it when everyone pitches in, it's friendly!

      Peanut can have trouble keeping her medicine in, she's a chronic vomiter. This is very good info to have! Thanks Sorcha :)

      Delete
    4. little m is almost four, and never had any oral medication, thanks be to the heavens above and me for creating such a strong and healthy kid......she will not take it..forget it...so the panadol suppositories have been such a winner here...not the nicest thing to administer for her or me, believe me...but if your child is so damn sick with fever, then they are the way to go..........saves fighting with them to take medicine. Wish me luck for tonight...she is still a towering inferno...

      Delete
    5. Very, very, very best of luck! I think we just moved past the worst of it here, the fever seems to have broken. Hopefully yours will tonight too!

      Delete
  6. I can tell you have a witty husband from bits and pieces of your blog. Between the Top Gun comment and the caged flowers he bought you, he sounds like a pretty good guy. :)

    ReplyDelete