Freezing, freezing winter.
It's time for blankets, knitted socks, beanies.... oh, who am I kidding. Its time for comfort food!
Prepare yourself for the first installment (of two) of Mrs Accident's patented Winter Warmers. Cheap and simple ingredients, easy to prepare, and guaranteed to infuse your home with an aroma that will leave you impatient for dinner time. Let's get started!
Mrs Accident's Best Ever Meatloaf
|No, not this one *shudder* (Image from here.)|
Let's try that again, before we lose our appetite...
(Image from here.)
Ah, there it is! Filling, cheap, and the flash point for many an Accidental marital argument about who gets the last slice. (This isn't a photo of my actual meatloaf. It is exceptionally hard to take an appetizing photo of a brown blob.)
1/2 cup of milk
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons barbecue sauce (plus a bit more)
2 tablespoons tomato sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 onion, diced
Prepare yourself, there's six steps. And mixing! My three year can manage it, so you should be ok.
1) Set the oven to 180 degrees C. (Or, set my oven to 230C, because it's a lazy old sod.)
2) Soak the bread in the milk for about five minutes, until it's lovely and mushy. Be exceptionally thankful this is no longer considered a balanced and nutritious meal for children.
3) Stick everything in a bowl and mix it. Or get your kid to mix it. Or stick her fingers in and smoosh it about. Doubles as a sensory developmental activity! win!
4) Stick everything in a greased loaf tin. (22x12cm is about right, but any deep dish about that size will do. I use my bread tin. I line it with baking paper but I probably don't need to.)
5) Press the meat down firmly, and squeeze a hefty wallop of barbecue sauce over the top.
6) Bake for an hour. Yum!
This meatloaf is delicious hot, awesome cold, and makes fabulous leftovers.
Mr Accident loves it. LOVES it. He likes to make sure I'm making enough for a hefty serve at night, and lunch the next day. For both of us. Lest I am slightly late for lunch, and he eats the final gigantic serve and there isn't any for me.... I'm pretty sure people have divorced for less...