Thursday, May 10, 2012

Play dough

A couple of you were wondering about my play dough recipe.

It is very easy to make and has a lovely texture, and keeps well if it is in a sealed plastic bag away from the air. We have kept some in our fridge for over a year! Of course, now I find the colours get mushed together way before the play dough gets old...

That's a dinosaur wearing a playdough coat, obviously.

Here is the recipe:

Mrs Accident's Playdough

2 cups plain flour
4 tablespoons cream of tartar
2 teaspoons cooking oil
1 cup salt
2 cups boiling water
Food colouring

Dissolve the salt in the water, add food colouring and oil. Add to the dry ingredients and stir. That's it!

Some notes...

Adding the food colouring to the water before putting it in the flour means even colour distribution right from the start, so faster kneading, and less chance of coloured hands. If the water is the right colour, the end product will be too.

Of course, if you use a mixer (like my much adored Kitchenaid) it's even easier, but it doesn't take long by hand either. Do be careful when you first knead the mix though! It is very very hot! Boiling water will do that ;)

If you have a great play dough recipe, feel free to whack it in the comments, I'm always up for trying something new. (Well, you know, something new like a new playdough recipe. I'm not quite up for polygamy or fried worms. Thought that might need some clarification.)

13 comments:

  1. Gosh I love your sense of humour! Polygamy and fried worms indeed!!! Actually just watched a movie with the kids called How To Eat Fried Worms. When your oldest is about 9 or 10, they will think it is great, even if we don't, very kid orientated all gross and wormy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, when my kids were small I would leave the playdough white and add a few drops of colour into the centre of a ball of playdough. As they play with it the playdough would change colour. magic playdough!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds good in theory.... Did they not just end up with coloured hands and food dye all over the place?

      Delete
  3. Love the dinosaur with coat and beret.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for that, it may save me a foul saucepan to wash up....I think mine is the same recipe cept I cook it....and then burn my hands kneading it...I add flavourings to mine, makes it smell yummy, and glitter is always a good addition too.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love adding glitter, but since Bug eats her weight in play dough every time I get it out (or tries to) I'm wary to add flavor in case it makes it even more tempting. Mind you, her playdough addiction probably can't get any worse...

      Delete
    2. Hahhaa....I dont know how they can even like the taste of it...its way salty....but yes, strawberry flavoured playdoh may become part of the weekly menu.....

      Delete
  5. No clarification need and I missed you yesterday, at work last night having a late break thought I'd check but no Mrs A to brighten my night:-( I use exactly the same playdough recipe and love it also but my kids arnt spoilt like yours they only get one colour. Oh and I use surgical gloves when mixing coloured fingers in my line of work is not a good look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I posted the Wednesday post early to get in on the linky! Sorry!

      I use surgical gloves when I colour stuff for cakes, food colouring just doesn't wash out! You're right, blue fingers for days is a strange look. When are you going to get a blog, Jodie? I want to read your stuff, too :)

      Delete
    2. If your little one eats the playdough try adding more salt realy salty may be a deterant. Me start a blog well firstly I wouldn't know the first thing about starting one and secondly I can assure you it wouldn't be nearly as interesting as yours. My life is work, some sleep (not much), house work and 3 tiddly peeps. Oh and how'd you know it was me? That's funny I was just putting fresh sheets on my sons bed when I realised I'd forgot to put my name. Time for a nap!

      Delete
    3. How did I know it was you? You have a trademark style! So I guessed :). I have nothing much to write about either, did you see my post on slugs? Just slugs? So not inspired! I just write my day to day stuff for me, and then feel really happy when someone else happens to read it.
      I reckon you'd have some great stories from working nights, no?

      Delete
  6. Wow I have a trademark style I flattered (I think). I missed your blog on slugs but I bet it was entertaining and funny. Boy do I have some stories but its not the night part its the industry. And the colourful language that I'd have to use to describe some of those "stories" would make even one of your toughest soldiers blush and I couldn't write with the flair you do. And I hate computers I do everything on my phone.

    ReplyDelete